- Thank the person who nominated you and answer the 11 questions they’ve written for you.
- Nominate 11 people and give them 11 different questions to answer.
1. What is your favourite art movement? (Impressionism, Surrealism…)
I’d say Modernism but it’s so hard to choose just one!
2. What was the weirdest thing a stranger ever told you?
I remember a couple of summers ago an old guy driving his car literally stopped to point out to me how pale I am. It was just so weird! Not only that he felt the need to tell me something I already clearly know, but that he actually stopped his car to say it.
3. Do you get motion sick while reading in the car/bus/train?
Nope! I have so many great memories of reading on trains. Never read on the bus/in the car though.
4. The best advice someone has ever given you?
Probably to just focus on you and to not let other people’s successes make you feel bad about yourself. That there isn’t this one ‘right’ path. Everyone is on different tracks and there’s nothing wrong with that. This was something that plagued me when I was in my late teens; the constant feeling that all my friends and peers were so much more successful and further ahead than I was in every way.
5. What time of the day are you most productive?
Probably night-time. I do a lot of writing at night (like right now), but even back when I was a student I did a lot of essay writing all through the night. I like the quiet and no interruptions.
6. Would you rather be a villain or a hero in a story, and why?
Hero, though I do think villains make more fun and interesting characters.
7. If you were a type of candy/snack, which one would you be?
I think I’d be a savoury snack – kinda boring but it’s better than going hungry 😛
8. Pirates or ninjas, and why?
This is so hard! I think being a pirate sounds fun though (minus the scurvy, of course).
9. What was your favourite thing to do when you were a kid?
I had a really nice childhood. I think my fondest memories are during summertime when I just used to be outside all summer playing. So yeah, out playing with my brothers and my friends.
10. Favourite and least favourite tropes in literature/cinematography/etc?
Literature: Favourite – unreliable narrators/enemies to lovers
Least favourite – women hating each other/main character is special and above everyone else/stereotypical marginalised characters
11. If you could change a single thing happening in the world right now, what would it be?
HA! SO many things… 2017 has been a total shit show so far.
Abby and Erica’s Questions:
1. What is your favourite classic book?
2. What is a book you started and never finished?
Lolita – I do want to finish it though, the subject matter makes me uncomfortable.
3. Which book do you think should be made into a movie but hasn’t been yet?
The Night Circus! It would be so so beautiful!
4. Which book did you read as a child and still list among your favourites today?
I actually didn’t read many novels as a child, and I can’t think of any that I still love today.
5. Favourite book with an animal in it?
Aristotle and Dante – I love Ari’s dog, Legs! Also I’m not a big HP fan but I love Hedwig 😦
6. What is your favourite genre and which book would you recommend from it?
I’d say contemporary/realistic fiction is my favourite genre, and a recommendation (though not a favourite) would be My Life Next Door, which I was kinda surprised by how much I liked it. It’s a really cute, realistic summer romance. I can’t choose a favourite though, it’s too difficult!
7. Is there a book that you consider required reading but haven’t read yet?
Pride and Prejudice, it was literally required reading for me a couple of years ago and I didn’t finish it…
8. Be honest, do you ever judge (or choose) a book by its cover?
Of course!! I think it’s very difficult NOT to.
9. What is your favourite book to give as a gift or your favourite book that you’ve received as a gift?
I don’t give or receive books from people (I bought my ex a Kindle, I think that’s the closest I’ve got). Not many people in my life read books for fun.
10. Why did you decide to become a book blogger?
I’ve been a blogger since 2012/13 on a different site, but I wanted a more professional blog so I joined WordPress last summer.
11. When was the last time you went to the library?
Probably around ten months ago, though that was my university library. I was not there for a good time…
And my questions are:
1. An item you can’t live without?
2. Favourite children’s TV show growing up?
3. A song you associate with a happy memory?
4. How did you come up with your blog name?
5. Sunset or sunrise?
6. Current fictional character crush (if any)?
7. Do you have any pets?
8. How do you usually spend your Saturday nights?
9. Favourite season?
10. A novel or movie that moved you to tears?
11. Who was your best friend growing up, and are you still friends with them?
Thanks again to Sophie, Abby, and Erica for tagging me!